Monday, September 15, 2014

Keeping it real. Chapter 3

Keeping it real.  Chapter 3
            “Real” is an interesting term.  We use the word in many different ways.  For example, I assume the chair I am sitting in is ‘real’—it’s solid, it holds me off the ground, it’s something I can touch.  Yet, when I have dreams at night (or in the day!), they are real too—I experience them, that is, they can make an impact on me, I remember them, I think about them just as I might think about a lecture I hear.  Okay, maybe a bit too philosophical, but my point is that say that “to keep it real” always had a lot of levels and is a dynamic process.  To be real in relationships is something different for each person and we each experience another person’s ‘realness’ in a different ways than they do.  Yet, for all that “keeping it real” may involve, it is important to explore as we continue to work on becoming self-aware which I would argue is one of the key factors in growing relationships, faith, or any sort of inner work.
           
One of my favorite examples of “keeping it real” comes from “The Velveteen Rabbit” by Margery Williams and here’s my favorite section:

“What is REAL?” asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side….”Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out-handle?”
            “Real isn’t’ how you are made,” said the Skin Horse.  “It’s a thing that happens to you.  When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.”
            “Does it hurt?” asked the Rabbit
            “Sometimes,” said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. “When you are Real you don’t mind being hurt.”
            “Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,” he asked, “or bit by bit?”
            “It doesn’t happen all at once,” said the Skin Horse. “You become.  It takes a long time.  That’s why it doesn’t often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.  Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby.  But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”
            ~from “The Velveteen Rabbit” by Margery Williams
…What more can you say.

++++++++++++
            I plan to include each week some unique prayers that I’ve used and found meaningful.  The following prayer is from Edward Hays, a Catholic priest,  and I would highly recommend any of his books.  http://www.edwardhays.com  It is from his book “Pray All Ways”. I like the title and he gives us Chapters about praying in ways we might not think about, thus in “all ways”.  Such as: Praying with the Eyes; How to Pray with our Feet; The Prayer of Napping (one of my favorites!); Play as Prayer; and many more.  But here is a Chapter that concludes his chapter titled, “Praying Through the Nose”:

A PRAYER OF GRATITUDE FOR THE GIFT OF A NOSE

Blessed are You, Lord of All Gifts, for Your masterful handiwork:  the nose.  I thank You for the gift of my nose and its marvelous power of smelling life.  I rejoice in the sense of smell which brings delight to my meals, enchances the beauty of flowers and heightens the pleasure of love.

Show to me Lord, how my nose can be a source of my prayer as I awaken to, sense and enjoy the ten thousand different incenses that arise from all things in praise of You, their holy and artistic Creator.

Regardless of the shape or size of the nose that You, my Creator, have given me, may it be for me an instrument of worship.  The next time I have the opportunity to meet an odor, a pleasant aroma or scent, make me aware that I am at prayer.  Allow me the grace to take each scent in, to relish it and to rejoice that You have made the possibility of prayer so easy and entertaining.

Blessed are You, Lord of Noses, for countless and varied smells.  Amen+

+++++
It’s always good to look at the early church writers and leaders when it comes to being ‘real’.  What they were dealing with was different in many ways but the same in way too many ways.  The problem of the inequities of the distribution of wealth and even the basic amenities for life are with us today.  The gap between the rich and poor is real and is growing worse. As Basil the Great of the 4th Century reminds us, as Christians we must focus on what is ‘real’—the needs of our brothers and sisters, the pain of humanity, and the importance of taking care of the truly real needs of people.  Advertisers, TV, the culture of excess, etc., tell us what they think is real--but I think Jesus might have a different take on what is real.  Hear these 1700 year old words and reflect upon how relevant they are today:

When someone steals a man's clothes
we call him a thief.
Should we not give the same name
to one who could
clothe the naked
and does not?
The bread in your cupboard
belongs to the hungry man;
the coat hanging unused
in your closet
belongs to the man
who has not shoes;
the money which you
hoard up
belongs to the poor.
--Basil the Great, 4th Century
 ++++++++
 Finally, as a reminder…here’s a another way to keep it ‘real’:

“He who is in love with himself has at least this advantage -- he won't encounter many rivals.”
--  G.C. Lichtenberg

++++++++++++++++
Some book Recommendations:
by W. Paul Jones
            Theological Worlds: Understanding the Alternative Rhythms of Christian Belief
            The Providence Beyond the River: The Diary of a Protestant at a Trappist Monastery

by Ronald Klug 
How to Keep a Spiritual Journal

by Erik Kobell 
What Jesus Meant:  The Beatitudes and a Meaningful Life
     (Read this along with the UMC Social Principles)




No comments: